Strapline

Copy - Content - Marketing Communications Planning

Sunday 18 January 2015

Big Issue seller reminded me of a powerful sales device

I was out and about doing some stuff in town yesterday

Shops are open A boards are inviting attention, the market traders are shouting  - you know how it is.

My focus was on some new batteries and weaving in and out of "slow moving traffic" in the form of dear old ladies with shopping trolleys!

I didn't see the Big Issue seller, but I heard him and my reaction was uncontrolled and came without thought or consideration.

His message was simple

" Big Issue - Only One Left - Get it now before it goes"

Now I do pick up the Big Issue every now and then, so I do know what it is. But frankly 9 times out 19 I scan read over a coffee and re-cycle it.

But the prospect of it being the last one and it might go before I could have it, stopped me thinking about what I needed to do and focus on why I might miss out on.

We are hardwired to make sure that things that might be scarce or running out are forced from the oldest part of our minds to be considered - because it used to be the difference between life and death.

When you are putting an ad headline or email subject line together, consider adding a timescale or numerical limit to your offer.

Before

Candles for Sale £3.00 for a box of 10

After

Only 10 boxes left  - Candles £3 a box of ten - Make sure you're prepared for winter power cuts

Scarcity and particularly the prospect of missing out are powerful motivators, when used carefully are a sure way of selling almost anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment