Strapline

Copy - Content - Marketing Communications Planning

Monday 26 January 2015

Why invest in good commercial copywriting?

A prospect asked me last week - " why should I pay for you to write about my business?"

Here's my reply, just in case you have ever wanted to know why you should consider paying my or any other copywriters invoice.

One of the most important reasons is that I'm not writing about your business. I'm writing to every decision maker who could influence the success of your business explaining to them the benefits of what you do. It's not about you, it's about creating and managing the perceptions of what you do.

Next before I put "pen to paper" I ask lots of questions based on nearly 30 years of business communications experience across most market sectors. I'll ask what you need to happen and why, I'll help you create a bridging strategy from where you are now to where you want to get to. And I'm confident that most other copywriters would do as well.

Next I'll review what's gone before and how you currently promote your business. It's no good suddenly changing your marcomms approach, it will create questions, when want you need is clear messages that support your past and promote your future.

Then most copywriters will write for the media you need, but also make sure those messages can be used in various ways across online and offline channels.

Then a great copywriter will learn what makes your business and organisation special and build that into the copy so you can differentiate your business in a crowded marketplace and your existing clients can recognise you.

Then the work starts.

You should feel you are investing in a lot more than words. You should feel that your time is better spent doing what you do well, rather than doing what you think you can do as a compromise.

Love your copywriters, we are a nice bunch of creatives who can give you an edge - remember the word is mightier than the sword.

No comments:

Post a Comment