Strapline

Copy - Content - Marketing Communications Planning

Monday 23 February 2015

Find the triggers - and adapt your approach

Now the customer has all the control, we need to focus our marketing activity to generate awareness and make it really easy for new and existing customers to buy from us.
Why to customers want our goods and services?
But we also have to develop a few techniques that can help us to make the buying process more productive.

I recently had to get some pet insurance.

Eventually after a load of research I phoned to set the deal up. I just wanted to confirm the price and get it set up, but no, I was faced with a barrage of questions about where I lived and how wonderful the provider was. I had two triggers - I had a dog to insure and I just needed to confirm what was on the screen in front of me.

So after 10 questions, I gave up.

Next I called another company.

Question 1 - How can I help you?
Question 2 - If you're online can you confirm the quote no in the top right of your screen?
Question 3 - When do you need the cover to start from?

The result was that with 30 seconds I had confirmed the price and then with the knowledge I needed the cover ASAP I was offered FREE 3 months if I used a discount code over the next 24 hours.

Brilliant.

Find out what the triggers are when you are asked about the services or products you sell. I always ask these 4 questions:
  1. When do you need the copy?
  2. Do you have all the information or will you require additional research?
  3. How do you want me to present the 1st draft?
  4. Do you have any questions?
The answers lead to other questions which help me scope the work and give me all the background information I need to understand why I'm getting the call.

I don't waste time telling them my story, or confirming their company details, and if their primary trigger is a deadline it helps to acknowledge that and have a sense of urgency.

Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment