Strapline

Copy - Content - Marketing Communications Planning

Monday 9 February 2015

Try Buying what you Sell

This is a great Monday morning game to start the week.

I start by thinking about my perfect target clients.

I imagine what market sector they operate in and then I ask myself how would they find a commercial copywriting service.

I put myself in their position and think about how they might find such a service. Now the reality is that most clients don't know that copywriters exist - so they actually don't know how helpful a commercially astute copywriter could be to them.

So for me the game is a bit-short lived, but I play it on behalf of my clients.

One of them provides heating and plumbing services. They have commercial and domestic clients and so it's easier to imagine what they might do. Of course Google is an obvious start point.

The beauty of Google is that you get options and this is a good time to review what sort of options your existing and new customers are faced with.

Does your competition market themselves better than you?

Try out the competition's website. How does it compare to yours?

  • Does it look better?
  • Is it easier to read and navigate?
  • Are you motivated to get in touch?
  • Do you feel confident in what they are offering?
  • In all honesty would you buy from them?
It's very hard to be clinical about these things but follow your gut reaction. If your local competitor site is better or has aspects that are better - DO SOMETHING.

Recently I felt that  the contact number was easier to read on a clients' competitor site. Within a half day my client's site was amended. The result - 10% more calls

Easy - So every Monday play the Buy before your Sell game.

PS - As a copywriter I have to educate my target market one client at a time - but then again I know nothing about boilers and hot water!

Image courtesy of sheelamohan at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment