Strapline

Copy - Content - Marketing Communications Planning

Wednesday 26 December 2012

Work and Play

Christmas has arrived and has gone for another year.

Today is Boxing Day and a day of rest and or running to and fro from one store to another in search of bargains.

So is it OK to work?

Are you working today Dad?


Well for many they have no choice. Someone has to manage and operate retail outlets etc.  but what about the many other who operate in the B2B market.

One of the many things I have observed over the past 3 years is the merging of work and play. It used to bother me. It used to bother those around me. But gradually I and those close to me have learnt to live with having to deal with the odd email in the evening, having to take the business call at odd hours, and having to work some of the time at the weekend.

And the benefits have been significant. I'm very fortunate in that I really enjoy the work I do as a writer and marketing services provider, and many of my clients have overseas interests which means different time scales and expectations. Now that I have merged work and play into a more harmonious and non ring fenced way of operating, there appears to be more time for what's important and less time fretting over what's not.

So right now I'm Blogging - later I'm doing family things. But if an important email comes that needs dealing with I will just get on with it.

Tomorrow should be a full working day - but family will be here so it won't. It's not a problem. Saturday is supposed to be the weekend, but most of the family will have gone so I will work, and everyone just gets on with getting on.

And I suspect this is the way of the working world for many. So find a way of Being that makes for balance and productivity for you and those around you, drop hangups about what's the right time and the wrong time and focus on what needs to be done.

2013 is going to be another year of change - so learn to be part of what changes around you rather than a victim.


No comments:

Post a Comment